Understanding Mental Capacity
Study time: 1 hour
This level 1, introductory course describes the principles of mental capacity and decision making in adults aged 16+.
This course is made available by The Open University through Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial-Share Alike 4.0 Licence.
1 certificate of learning
- Define mental capacity
- Explain why understanding mental capacity is important and for whom
- Describe mental capacity in terms of time and decision making
- Describe different types of decision and the ones that no one else can make
- Explain how decisions are made and what helps people make decisions
- Explain what is meant by, and who is, the decision maker when a person lacks mental capacity or has fluctuating mental capacity
- Describe in simple terms how decision makers decide
- Describe in simple terms what is meant by an unwise decision
- Understanding Mental Capacity
- Decision Making
There is an assessment at the end of each module, which must be passed with at least 75% to pass the course. You will have unlimited attempts to pass the assessments.